Tuesday, November 11, 2008

How Do You Mourn a Snake?

One of our snakes died. It was a tiny rat snake. I think he starved to death, unpleased with his food choices we caught.

Apparently, my response was not sad enough. It was waved in my face by a very sad boy while I was trying to arrange some business on the phone. It kept being waved in my face - a dead, stiff snake inches from my face.

I said, "Oh, sorry, but get the thing out of my face. Go throw it out or something!"

It was not a sympathetic enough response. So today, after school, we will have to properly mourn a snake.

5 comments:

Alan & Beth McManus said...

O that's funny! I wouldn't be very sympathetic either. Maybe you could bury him or something. I killed our fish a couple of weeks ago and just threw him in the garbage. The kids were so grossed out they forgot to be sad. =)

Unknown said...

I have a few here that need to be buried...! :)

May the 'ceremony' go well tomorrow :)

Rebecca Conduff Aguirre said...

Yeah, don't think that would pull much sympathy from me, either. LOL! I still have the scorpion we caught several weeks ago-it's in a jar on my counter. I wish it would pass on! :o

Grammy said...

so glad we don't have kids with us .. I can't imagine the "pets" we might have.

Ellie said...

We had a pet cockroach in a jar once. My son used to take him for walks in the garden (in the jar!) and show him all the flowers and talk to him.

This is the son who later on could talk geckos off the wall onto his hands and carry them around perched on his shoulder. He has some uncanny ability with animals.