Monday, September 14, 2009

People First, Right?

That is what we tell ourselves - it is really the people that matter the most. But I am not sure I always live that way.

I like order. I am not sure my husband would agree with that statement since I am not always successful at it, but I like order. When I leave for a trip, I like to leave things in order. When I get back, I like to put things in order again. Everything back in place, unpacked, cleaned up, and then figure out life. Then I go out and meet people.

This time, I thought I would rethink that. If I wait until life is organized, I might be waiting an awfully long time. (I told you that I am not that successful about order.) Today, there are piles of laundry needing to be washed, suitcases that still need unpacking, the garden which desperately needs my attention, and then just life to get back on schedule - let alone work that I am behind on. It could take me a week to get it all done.

But people first. So today, I made sure all the perishables were in the fridge, took a shower and put on something cheerful, and went out visiting. (Partly thinking if I do it first, then they won't appear on my messy doorstep!) It was great. I have one friend who is like a sister to me, and I went there first. We sat in her messy house (I visited before her cleanup routine), and had a great talk. Time to catch up, to share stories, to talk about our families and how we cope. Time to share the stresses of the summer, since there have been those, and talk them through. When I visit her with nothing to do, I always learn something new. I need those things. I need to hear stories so I can tell better stories.

It was good to visit.

I'll be working through my clean up and my priorities and plans for the year this next week. Pray I make good choices. For me, September is my New Years. That is when the new year begins and changes and choices are made. I want to make good ones this year - after I weed my garden; the sun is shining and it is beautiful out there!

No comments: