Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Right Response to Abortion?

It was an interesting conversation around the nursing station late this evening. My coworker in tears on and off throughout the evening.

Her daughter is pregnant.

The daughter who uses drugs, whose boyfriend is a drug dealer. The daughter who has been trouble for years, but whom the mother loves dearly.

The nurse at the desk was the one who had the conversation with me weeks ago about abortion. She's had two.

My friend has been raised in the church. She has her problems and faults, but she believes in God... and in life.

And me.

An interesting mix.

My coworker in tears because her 18 year old daughter has decided to have an abortion. And there is nothing the mother can do. So she cries at work because she is not home and she can.

What do you say? I'm sorry? It seems so little.

The boyfriend's mom is pushing the abortion. Saying that it is the "only option". My friend cries. Her first daughter and her second, the one who is pregnant, were both conceived outside of a marriage, but she chose life, and has tried her best at the responsibility that was given to her. She's done well, really.

But my friend cries. "How can that mom say it is the only choice? How can she say that to me?! I know, she knows, my daughter knows there are other choices!"

But what can you do? You can not force someone.

So she cried. It will be next week or the next. There are laws in this country that will take awhile to get some hoops jumped through first. Then the daughter asked her mother to drive her there. She said she hopes it is in the morning, or she will have to get a day off work (there are no extras at work so that would be tough). She says even if it is in the morning, she will not be able to work. She will be bawling.

I said to phone me. Right now, I am not taking more shifts, but phone me. Just tell my you need to take your daughter to the doctor, and I will take your shift.

On the way home, I felt odd. I just volunteered to cover for someone for an abortion. Is that the right response to abortion? But what else could I do? My coworker is sick over it. She was heaving and threw up in the garbage can over the thought of her daughter killing her baby. But she can not stop it. My response is the only one I have - to show love to my friend. To cry with her. To pray.

Right now, that is all I can do. Pray that she will change her mind, and be there for my friend if her daughter goes through with her plan.

It's sad. Very, very sad.

4 comments:

Sarah DeSalvo said...

You are definitely doing the right thing, the God-honoring thing. Those who want to look at it technically maybe could say that you are supporting abortion, but honestly? You are loving your neighbor. And that is what God calls us to do. Abortion or not, it is not your choice. All you can choose to do is to show love. God bless you, my friend!

Preach and Heal said...

She needs to be there for her daughter because if her daughter goes alone there will be no one that can share the truth with her in love.
Is there a crisis pregnancy center in the area? Maybe you could have your friend take her daughter there first so she can have an ultrasound. I worked 9 years in one of these centers as a counselor and medical provider. We saw so many women that thought there was no choice end up chosing life with no regrets. Above all be there for your friend and give her the number for the Post-Abortion Reconciliation and Healing at 1-800-5-WE-CARE.

Carrie said...

You're doing the right thing. What an awful situation!

Alan & Beth McManus said...

God doesn't force us to do the right thing. He loves the sinner and hates the sin. You are doing right. Keep loving your friend.

My sister-in-law had an abortion back before she knew the Lord, before she realized the reality of what she had done. She calls herself a murderer. She didn't tell her other kids (the ones she had after she had a complete "change of opinion") until just a couple years ago, only a day before she shared her testimony in church. She now has a masters in counseling and specifically works with women that have had abortions -- teaching them about God's love and forgiveness and helping them deal with the guilt.

I pray that God will keep this young lady from the abortion and therefore from the aftermath. If He does not, I pray that through you and through other loving friends, she will be drawn back to the Love and Care of our Lord!