Tuesday, March 2, 2010

An Adverb

I was reading this morning in Nehemiah about the building of the wall.  A very interesting chapter that is also a little boring.  This guy built from here to there.  That guy built from here to there.  Doesn't take long to get the point that all of them built a section so it was all done.  But then I also delight in the detailed awareness of God of each person.  By name.

Anyway, I read sleepily through them as I curled up under the covers - a practice I don't do at home because it tends to lead to a time with God consisting of many naps and some sleepy conversation.  But I am not at home, and I make exceptions at times.

I read this one verse then, "After him Baruch the son of Zabbai zealously repaired another section".  Only one word distinguishes him from the rest of wall builders, but there was something different about him.  Something that made God record it.  Zealously repaired.

I'd love to go back in time, stand quietly and watch Baruch zealously repair his wall.  Love to study him, get to know him.  What made him so special to get that adverb?

I want an adverb.  A good one.  Actually, "zealously" looks pretty good to me.  "She zealously ........".  What would that read for you? 

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I like the word zealous...but, I think the word that might describe me best would be diligently or carefully...
however, I think the word I would choose for myself would be cheerfully...I mean I would like to develop that adverb :)

Ellie said...

I think I would like diligently. It would be a good adverb, one I am missing I think.

Anonymous said...

i want a good adverb too... i don't know that i could pick just one though.

faithfully
lovingly
fervently
patiently
passionately
authentically

i wonder what God would pick for me...