Monday, June 28, 2010

Tempered Steel

I lost my journal that I started during our crisis this spring.  I didn't find it until today.  As I thumbed through it, I thought I will post this one last thing before I move on to the Epilogue, and then close the chapter on this time and move on to my not half so exciting daily life.

I think because it is from so long ago, I will just copy what I wrote in my journal that day:

God is talking to me about tempered steel - not exactly sure what it is about tempered steel.  Perhaps I need to look it up and study what goes into tempering steel.  So far, I have learned that steel is tempered by reheating it over and over until it changes its very form, making it stronger and able to withstand changes and loads.

I feel like that is what Gos is doing with me - over and over again putting me through the fire.  I don't really like it.  But then I see myself respond in ways that are not best showing who God is and I am disappointed in myself.  Slowly, slowly, God is working on me through these times, slowly changing me.

Like tempered steel becoming stronger.

Only I am afraid of fire and greatly dislike pain.  When I think about me, I don't like the tempering process, but when I think about God and His purposes - so greater than mine - I realize that in order for Him to use me, I need to be strengthened and changed.

No comments: