Thursday, June 26, 2008

Words of a Friend

Have you ever had a friend who being with is like taking a deep breath and breathing out in a sigh of relief?

I have a few. They are the type of friends that you can not have many of. There is only so much room in a tight circle.

One of those stepped into my life today.

What a relief! Not just to be talked to by someone who will scold me, not just by someone who will say comforting words to me, but someone who speaks the truth to me plainly because they love me deeply.

Yes, some truth is not easy, but the love behind it makes it worthwhile. And when truth is spoken, the comfort, the encouragement that also comes means so much more. It is not simply words to make me feel better. It is real.

And only a friend will really know how much I am struggling, and how much the last few weeks have hurt me. And only a true friend will tell me they know that, but despite how I feel, I need to make the right choices.

It is good to have a friend.

It does not take away pain. It doesn't get me out of this struggle. But it helps me to get my perspective and gives me the encouragement to go on.

Ps 27:9 Oil and perfume make the heart glad, so a man's counsel is sweet to his friend.

No comments: