Tuesday, July 5, 2011

On the Road

Sorry if my blogging become sporadic and unpredictable.  Right now, I am on the road with five kids visiting all our home churches.  Yup, it is that time of year again for us all to head home to do the rounds.  I find that as much as I like visiting friends, more and more I dread these summers.  I think it has something to do with the fact that we are increasingly feeling settled into our "temporary" location, and going home is not so much going home anymore.  I love home.... it is just that I have two of them.

The other reason is that stuffing four or five kids in a van and being on the road for two months is less and less appealing as my kid's energy levels increase.  Two are teens, and we picked up another teen, so three teenage boys in one vehicle long term is only so delightful.

I love people.  I really do.  But, I also recharge by time alone in quietness.  This proves hard to find on a travel summer, and by the end of the summer I am really ready to do nothing but watch the late fall birds eat seeds or take long walks alone.  I struggle my way through the summer hoping against hope that every few days I can get a little time alone, but it does not always come.  I love people, truly, but I also love time to recharge, and this summer will prove difficult for me.

But today, I am sitting in a quiet place.  All the kids are running around a lake catching bugs or playing ping pong.  My husband is in a meeting, and I am toasting my toes in the sunshine coming through a picture window, and enjoying silence.  Maybe even long enough to blog.

No comments: